Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Blog Post #8

The Interview

Who did I interview: I interviewed a student/newly found friend (thanks to this interview), who asked not to be named in my blog, he is a junior, political science major, hoping to move onto law school after Rutgers. He affiliated with a fraternity on-campus here at Rutgers University.
What did I learn during my interview: I learned that not everything that the media dishes out to the public is one-hundred percent true. I'm not implying that the media outright lies; however, the media exaggerates when they discuss anything to do with fraternities. I learned not to judge people based on the activities they are involved with. Before this interview, I had a pretty negative image of men in fraternities. Due to movies like Neighbors, Hollywood pegs frat guys as stupid, immature boys who only care about drinking, getting multiple women, and most importantly themselves. However, this interview showed me that just because other people, or media outlets show something as a certain, you should still give an individual the benefit of the doubt and believe that they can be the exception to the norm.
Memorable Quotes: "You know, sometimes, I know people already either do not like me, judged me, or do not want to talk to me because they see I'm wearing my letters, and they assume I'm a bad guy."
"It is hard not to agree with people that judge me based on my affiliation to my fraternity because, I watch the news, I see the movies, I would not want to friends or even remotely around the frat bros I see in the media."
"Do fraternities partake in drinking? I don't know, does a bear shit in the woods? The majority of college students drink."
"Why is it such a crime they we drink? The majority of rest of the student body also partakes in drinking an excessive amount of alcohol, yet they look down on us for doing it, it's hypocritical"
Why I chose him: I chose this young man because I noticed that he was wearing Greek letters and he was in my class, and I needed to get this interview. Since my paper talks about fraternities and what people think about them and how it affect some students' drinking behavior. I wanted to see if he was the norm or the exception. And hey, there are always exceptions to the rule, and he certainly was.

No comments:

Post a Comment